Thursday, August 4, 2011

Childhood Dreams (the lack of)


What do you want to be when you grow up?
I really hope someone asked you this question.
For me, I don't recall anyone asking me that question. I do not recall dreaming about being a police officer, president, banker, professional athlete etc.
Looking back, I did not have any aspirations

The other day I was listening to the last lecture by Randy Pausch. He was a professor at Carnegie Mellon University. He was reflecting on his life and his childhood dreams and then went into details how he accomplished each and every one.
Watching his inspirational lecture provided mixed emotions. I admired his ambition and pursuit of his dreams and at the same time it made me really sad that I did not have childhood dreams.
Exposure is very important.
Exposure to careers, jobs, activities etc at a young age allows a child to imagine, dream, and start working towards a goal.

My five year old nephew told me he wants to be a paleontologist. I did not need to look up what paleontologist do cause my nephew was ready with the information. He has a fascination with dinosaurs so unearthing new fossils would be a great job to him. Hearing talk so passionately about dinosaurs, exploration etc makes me realize that I missed out on a big part of life.
I sit back and think: I wonder what childhood dream I would have had....would that have affected who I am right now?

I am not a parent but I have hanged out with my nephews long enough to realize that parents have a great responsibility. Providing food and love is not enough. Children are looking up to you to stimulate their imagination; to give them the right foundation; to expose them to possibilities; to make them think what they would like to do in the future.
Passion starts from an early age...ensure your children have a passion about something and then assist them to make it happen.

What were your childhood dreams?
Have you accomplished any of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment