Friday, January 18, 2013

To be an Officer or not to be

This past week I have been thinking about making the transitions from enlisted soldier to a commissioned officer.  There are lots of perks for being an officer as opposed to staying as an enlisted soldier. Some of these perks include: respect, involvement in decision-making, more administrative work as opposed to "dirty" work, leadership responsibilities, better pay and greater chance of securing an attractive civilian job due to the leadership nature of the job.
I talked to my wife about the decision and she was supportive.
Officer career track was the route that I would have followed if citizenship status was not a hindrance when I was enlisting.
Unfortunately the latest regulations on becoming an officer have lowered the maximum age to enroll to Officer Candidate School to 28.  This was very disappointing to me, but I will continue to progress in the enlisted levels as far as I can for the duration of my contract.

"G. IN SERVICE SOLDIERS IN THE ACTIVE COMPONENT (AC) MUST NOT HAVE REACHED THEIR 28TH BIRTHDAY ON THE DATE OF SUBMISSION OF THEIR OCS PACKET. AC SOLDIERS SHOULD BE AWARE THE TIME GAP FROM SELECTION TO ATTENDANCE IS 6-15 MONTHS."

Some good news that happened this week: I finalized my application for graduate school; I took the DLPT (Defense Language Proficiency Test) and scored the highest point on the pay scale, so I will be getting a little boost to my monthly salary.

I had my wisdom teeth pulled on Monday.  It was not as bad of an experience as I thought it would be. I was given two days off from work to recover. I still have two more teeth to remove, but that wont take place till March.
I am enjoying a four day weekend thanks to Martin Luther King Jr. 

No comments:

Post a Comment