Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Creating employment for yourself

I admire people who thin outside the box; and quite frankly many more people need to do that during these hard times. Here are few examples of businesses that are not business as usual:
1. Making tiles and other house-holds from waste products (specifically all the plastic bags)
2. Making and selling fresh juice (the fruits are in season and its a great time to start)
---sidenote: frozen juice in supermarkets is a great way to take it a step further--make juice while the fruits are in season and freeze the juice; package it nicely and approach the supermarkets.
3. small bed n breakfast resorts in remote and attractive places.
4. consulting business (if you are good at what you do, but cant find an employer, then employ yourself!!)
5. Unique art (you will surprised what you can make from trash if you put your mind into it--and people will pay good money for your work)
6. Find something popular and distinguish yourself ( I saw ecocabs in town--they are hybrid taxi that use less energy (toyota prius etc)

those are just a few examples that I have seen here in Nairobi, I am sure you can come up with something marketable if you take the time and think outside the box.

One other thing: do not listen to pessimism from your friends, do some market research and go for it!!!

2 comments:

  1. It's not easy to start a new business or leave the comfort of employment. I'm in that category too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want that challenge! I'm a student willing to almost do anything to make that extra cash, but not because I'm desperate for money but because I want to see how far I can go. And I can't see myself working for other people for long, if at all I do.

    So far, I'm all theory and no action. Mainly because I think immersing myself in the business world is a financial risk, I'm just not sure how much risk I can take.

    I like what you are doing on the blog though, keep writing.

    ReplyDelete