Thursday, May 19, 2011

Of Marriage


I have a lengthy discussion with one of my friends concerning the type of woman to marry.
He was basically getting on my case due to the fact that I prefer to marry a Kikuyu lady.
Given that I have spent more than half of my life away from Kenya and away from Kikuyu people he didnt feel that I could justify my preference.
I have dated ladies from diverse cultures and actually have been more exposed to ladies of other cultures than I have been exposed to Kikuyu ladies., so I can defintely see why my friend doesnt seem to understand my preference.
At first I really did not understand why I prefer Kikuyu ladies.
I tried to reason that its the culture, the language, the communication etc; but all those reasons were done away with by my friend.
That got me really thinking; do I understand why I prefer what I prefer?
Then it hit me
I prefer to marry I Kikuyu lady because I would like to marry someone who is like my mother.
Let's face it, before your wife comes along, the only lady who knows you, nurtures you, loves you unconditionally is your mother.
So when you are looking for someone to settle down with, your mother's qualities seem to overshadow all others.
Its psychological; we make these choices without even realizing them.

Now dont get me wrong, you can find motherly qualities in ladies from other cultures, but given the choice of someone from your culture with the same qualities as another lady from another culture, you will most definitely choose the lady from your culture.
It is comforting to have someone who understands you fully---your culture, language, behaviour and most importantly has your best interest at heart just like your mother would.
So its not a racial thing at all; am just looking for someone to take Wairimu's place (that's my mother).
Now that doesnt mean that if someone from another culture came into my life and captured my heart I wouldnt take it to the next level.
Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment