Monday, February 2, 2009

What does a job mean to you?

Many Kenyans tend to distinguish themselves according to the type of job they have.
A job in a particular profession may have some prestige attached to it, but the important question that you want to ask yourself is:
What does this job mean to me?

In many occasions I have heard people say "work to live, dont live to work"
I totally agree with the above statement.
I believe a job should not define you, you should define the job.
By defining a job I mean through hard work, determination, character, relations with coworkers and customers, defining the satisfaction you want from the job etc.

I know my people who work 12hrs or more. If I am employed, I will personally not work that many hours if the pay is the same.
My former boss always used to encourage us to strive to do all we can in the given hours and not more than that. Jack Shiltz is by far the best boss that I have ever had. He shared the mission and vision of the company with every employee and encouraged all of us to have a mission in life; and he was very frank that work should not be our mission but a means to our mission. So he encouraged us to work hard at work since it was a benchmark in achieving our mission in life.

So my advise to you today is:
  • Define your mission in life
  • Find a job and a boss that will help you achieve your mission
  • Define your working hours and stick to them (I can assure you that your boss will not require you to work extra hours if you are maximizing your efforts during working hours--so reducing your time on facebook (lol!))
  • Communicate your mission so that others will not make requests that will hinder your efforts to achieve your mission.
  • finally do not become a slave to work! Work enough to enjoy your life and not the other way around.

Do not hesitate to get in touch for a one-on-one assistance with your CV, Application letter, job search, interview skills etc.

Hoseah Njuguna
0734-609-741
empowerkenya@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment